Table of Contents
The book is by the late athletics statistician Peter Heindenstrom. New Zealand Athletes of the Century
Peter Heidenstrom, who died in 2007, aged 77.
He was New Zealand’s most perceptive and widely published writer on athletics.
And he put his extensive records and encyclopedic knowledge into the most comprehensive book on 100 years of New Zealand Track and Field wrote.
The Century’s athletes were published in 1992 containing detailed information covering 100 years of New Zealand Athletes. At the same time, over 50 years of research went into producing this definitive reference book.
And It is also fun to dip into to answer questions like:
- Did a New Zealand Athlete actually run the first four-minute mile nearly 20 years before Roger Bannister?
- Which Maori athletes have finished one-two at the Olympics.
- Why did NZ’s greatest sprinter carry a flask of whiskey with him to the start of races?
- Why were three of Peter Snell‘s world records ratified when and should have disallowed them…
- What was the mysterious ‘SMH’ that Jack Lovelock showed up – was it Synthetic Male Hormone, an early form of anabolic steroid?
Athletes of the Century cover each event or group of events in desperate chapters.
And from over 2500 athletes listed. Author Peter Heindesnstrom has picked a ‘dream New Zealand team.’
And, in the final selection, the single most outstanding athlete this country has produced.
Athletics New Zealand. Separate statistical sections document each event and individual performances.
Separate statistical sections document each event and individual performances in a way not previously available anywhere in the world.
While tables catalog all of New Zealand’s most outstanding athletes throughout the history of each event.
And provide all-time ranking lists for any date in the past century.
So this remarkable collection of information is based on nearly 50 years of research by Peter Heidenstrom.
It shows that man and woman for woman New Zealand is the most significant athletic nation globally.
- Amazon. Athletes of the century: 100 years of New Zealand track and field Paperback – 1992. retrieved from https://www.amazon.com/Athletes-century-years-Zealand-track/dp/1869560442
- McKinnon, M. (15 Jun 2007). Renowned Athletics writer Heidenstrom dies. retrieved from https://www.worldathletics.org/news/news/renowned-athletics-writer-heidenstrom-dies
- The National Library. Heidenstrom, Peter Norman 1929-2007. Retrieved from https://natlib.govt.nz/records/22563371
LIKE OUR FACEBOOK PAGE
SHARE THIS ARTICLE
“In 2020, Andrew advanced to the position of Vice President with the Association of Track and Field Statisticians, having devoted seven years as an active member. His impressive track record includes roles such as a PSC Consultant and Research Assistant (2013-2015) and a distinguished stint as a Sprint Coach and Consultant at the renowned Zamboanga Sports Academy (2015-2017). Today, he offers his expertise as a Consultant Coach with VMUF, starting from 2021.
A recognized voice in the sports community, Andrew is the Chief Editor of Pinoyathletics.info. Additionally, his consultancy contributions to Ayala Corp in evaluating their Track and Field Program underline his deep domain knowledge.
Proficient in coaching sprints, middle-distance races, and jump events, Andrew boasts a Level 3 Athletics Australia Coaching Certification, specializing in Sprints and Hurdles. He is also on a progressive journey towards obtaining a Masters Degree in Education.