New Zealand Athletes of the Century
The book is by the late athletics statistician Peter Heindenstrom. New Zealand Athletes of the Century
Peter Heidenstrom, who died in 2007 aged 77. He was New Zealand’s most perceptive and widely published writer on athletics. And he put his extensive records and encyclopedic knowledge into the most comprehensive book on 100 years of New Zealand Track and Field wrote.
So athletes of the Century was published in 1992 containing detailed information covering 100 years of New Zealand Track and Field. While over 50 years of research went into producing this definitive reference book.
And It is also fun to dip into to answer questions like:
- Did a New Zealander actually run the first four-minute mile nearly 20 years before Roger Bannister?
- which Maori athletes have finished one-two at the Olympics.
- why did NZ’s greatest sprinter carry a flask of whiskey with him to the start of races?
- why were three of Peter Snell‘s world records ratified when, according to the rules, they should have been disallowed…
- what was the mysterious ‘SMH’ that Jack Lovelock was showing up – was it Synthetic Male Hormone, an early form of anabolic steroid?
Athletes of the Century cover each event or group of events in desperate chapters. And from over 2500 athletes listed. Author Peter Heindesnstrom has picked a ‘dream New Zealand team’. And, in the final selection, the single greatest athlete this country has produced.
Athletics New Zealand. Separate statistical sections document each event and individual performances
Separate statistical sections document each event and individual performances in a way not previously available anywhere in the world. While tables catalog all of New Zealand’s most outstanding athletes throughout the history of each event.
And provide all-time ranking lists for any date in the past century. So this remarkable collection of information is based on nearly 50 years of research by Peter Heidenstrom. And shows that man for man and woman for woman New Zealand is the greatest athletic nation in the world.
- Amazon. Athletes of the century: 100 years of New Zealand track and field Paperback – 1992. retrieved from https://www.amazon.com/Athletes-century-years-Zealand-track/dp/1869560442
- McKinnon, M. (15 Jun,2007). Renowned Athletics writer Heidenstrom dies. retrieved from https://www.worldathletics.org/news/news/renowned-athletics-writer-heidenstrom-dies
- The National Library. Heidenstrom, Peter Norman 1929-2007. Retrieved from https://natlib.govt.nz/records/22563371
Andrew is an ATFS Statiscian in Athletics with a wide range of knowledge in measurable sports. He has worked as a PSC Consultant and Research Assistant from 2013-2015, Consultant and Sprint Coach at Zamboanga Sports Academy from 2015-2017. And is current editor and chief of Pinoyathletics.info, and has recently done consultancy work for Ayala Corp evaluating the Track and Field Program. Currently, he is coaches Sprints, Middle and Jump events he is working towards his Level 3 Athletics Australia Coaching Certification in Sprints and Hurdles.
He can be contacted on [email protected]